- The Alberta Golden Bears and Saskatchewan Huskies enter the 2018-19 CW men's hockey season as the pre-season favourites
- Alberta earned six first-place votes, while Saskatchewan earned the other two
- The Bears enter 2018-19 looking to defend their CW and U SPORTS titles
The Bears, who garnered six first-place votes, head into the new season the defending conference and national champions, while Saskatchewan, who earned the other two first-place votes, is looking to end Alberta’s two-year run as CW champs.
The storied programs have combined to win the last 21 conference championships, and have their sights set on the University Cup, which will be handed out March 17th in Lethbridge.
Slotting in behind the Bears and Huskies in a playoff position within the annual poll are the Calgary Dinos (33 pts.), Mount Royal Cougars (31 pts.), UBC Thunderbirds (29 pts.), and the Manitoba Bisons (17 pts.).
The Regina Cougars (13 pts.) and Lethbridge Pronghorns (10 pts.) round out the poll.
A full preview of the conference’s eight teams will be available Wednesday on CanadaWest.org.
Watch every CW MHKY game this season
Once again this season, you can watch every Canada West regular season game on Canada West TV.
Regular season all-access, school, and sport passes are now available, and can be purchased here.
Playoff and championship passes will go on sale beginning October 12.
2018 CANADA WEST MHKY PRE-SEASON COACHES POLL
TEAM / POINTS (FIRST-PLACE VOTES)
1. Alberta Golden Bears / 48 (6)
2. Saskatchewan Huskies / 43 (2)
3. Calgary Dinos / 33
4. Mount Royal Cougars / 31
5. UBC Thunderbirds / 29
6. Manitoba Bisons / 17
7. Regina Cougars / 13
8. Lethbridge Pronghorns / 10
NOTES: Coaches rank all conference teams excluding their own. First-place vote worth 7 pts., second-place 6 pts. etc.