EDMONTON – The 2019 Canada West football season came to a close Saturday, and it finished in much the same way it started: Saskatchewan Huskie Adam Machart dominating the opposition.
The Saskatchewan running back was named CW Offensive Player of the Week Monday after racking up a season-high 227 rushing yards, which set a program single-season record of 1,332.
Thanks in large part to Machart, Saskatchewan earned a 22-9 win over the Alberta Golden Bears and the right to host a Hardy Cup semifinal this Saturday in Saskatoon.
Also claiming Player of the Week honours were Alberta's Wesley Bookland (special teams) and UBC Jackson Ciraolo-Brown (defence).
HARDY CUP SEMIFINAL TIMES ANNOUNCED
In addition to the conference's players of the week, start times for the upcoming Hardy Cup semifinals were also announced.
The first-place Calgary Dinos and aforementioned Huskies earned the right to host home playoff games with wins this past Saturday.
- Saturday, November 2
- Semifinal 1: Manitoba Bisons @ Calgary Dinos / 12 p.m. MDT / McMahon Stadium
- Semifinal 2: Alberta Golden Bears @ Saskatchewan Huskies / 3 p.m. CST / Griffiths Stadium
- NOTE: Both games will be available on SaskTel, TELUS, Bell MTS, and Canada West TV.
OFFENCE: RB - Adam Machart
- Saskatchewan Huskies
- Saskatoon, Sask.
- Arts & Science
- STATS: 29 carries for 227 yards / set Saskatchewan single-season rushing record
DEFENCE: DB - Jaxon Ciraolo-Brown
- UBC Thunderbirds
- Hamilton, Ont.
- STATS: 3 interceptions / 98 return yards / 8 tackles / pass breakup
SPECIAL TEAMS: RET - Wesley Bookland
- Alberta Golden Bears
- Spruce Grove, Alta.
- STATS: 120-yard missed field goal return for a TD / 156 total return yards