EDMONTON – Six players with Canada West connections have cracked the latest Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau rankings, which were released Thursday by the CFL.
Current Calgary Dinos Logan Bandy (OL - No. 12) and Grant McDonald (LB - No. 19) were joined by former Dino Deane Leonard (DB - No. 13), along with UBC Thunderbirds Ben Hladik (LB - No. 16) and Nick Cross (LB - No. 20), and Saskatchewan Huskie Nelson Lokombo (DB - No. 14).
Canada West was the lone U SPORTS conference to land multiple players on the list, with the only other U SPORTS player being Montreal's Pier-Olivier Lestage (OL - No. 11).
The rankings are released three times each season (fall, winter, spring) ahead of the CFL Draft, and are selected by CFL scouts, as well as, player personnel directors and general managers from the CFL’s nine member clubs.
While action across Canada was halted this season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, one CW name on the list is suiting up for games this fall.
Leonard, who transferred in the offseason to Ole Miss, has seen action in both of the Rebels Southeastern Conference games this season. The Calgary native was a key part of the Dinos' Vanier Cup championship in 2019, and was a CW all-star and first team All-Canadian in both 2018 and 2019.
CANADA WEST PLAYERS IN THE CFL SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS
Rank / Name / Position / CW school / Hometown / Program
- 12 / Logan Bandy / OL / Calgary Dinos / Calgary, AB / Kinesiology
- 13 / Deane Leonard / DB / Calgary Dinos / Calgary, AB / Business
- 14 / Nelson Lokombo / DB / Saskatchewan Huskies / Abbotsford, BC / Kinesiology
- 16 / Ben Hladik / LB / UBC Thunderbirds / Vernon, BC / Arts
- 19 / Grant McDonald / LB / Calgary Dinos / Tsawwassen, BC / Arts
- 20 / Nick Cross / LB / UBC Thunderbirds / Regina, SK / Arts